Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Automatic Toilets and Preferred stalls...


I realize whoa...I haven't posted in a while and then BAM! TWO posts!




I know, its crazy, but I just had to write more.




So, I work 40 hours a week in a health insurance company. Praise God for this job. It is a blessing that He is providing me money that I can use to live in college station next semester and student teach. I am really excited!




So the thing about this job is that it doesn't require a lot of movement. I sit at a cubical for most of the day...except when I either really have to go to the bathroom or I just get so antsy that I go to the bathroom and try to squeeze any pee out of me that can make the bathroom trip valid.




So in a given day, I probably take 6 trips to the bathroom...that gives me a lot of time to think. You see these bathrooms have automatic toilets. This invention is just funny to me. Why did we decide this was a device we needed to automate. Why didn't we first automate a sandwich maker or a dog poo picker upper...those are two things I would like automated BEFORE I would like to have a toilet automatic.




These toilets just stress me out!! First of all, they either flush too much or not enough. I hate when you are wiping and the toilet flushes...and then flushes again...and you feel bad because we are just now getting out of a drought! What if my 6 bathroom visits push us back into a drought?!? I also think about the children in Ethiopia who don't have enough to drink, and I just wasted another 7 gallons with my automatic toilet! It's very depressing!




Then there is the problem of not flushing when you want them to. There is just something about my waste that I dont want other people looking at it. So I stand there and wave my hand over the little sensor...but nothing happens. So I have to leave my pee...it just stays there and hangs out. So maybe there are enough times that it doesnt flush and people come and plop down on the seat, pee, and then it doesnt flush for them either. I guess I got my 7 gallons back...




But really, toilet inventors...I didnt mind using my foot to push the handle and flush the toilet. I would welcome the chance to lift my leg a little (it would be the most exercise I would have all day!) to make my pee go down with just the right amount of water. I really wouldn't mind at all. I am thinking about writing the toilet makers of America and asking them if they wouldn't mind ending world hunger before making another object automatic that simply doesn't need to be.




Second public bathroom thought:Is it just me or does everyone have a preferred stall or urinal (for the boys) that they use? You see I always go into the second stall...unless I am in the SCC, then for some reason I use the first, I dont really know why I am different there, but I have just always had a weird affinity to the first stall in that bathroom.




Anyways, my preferred stall is the second. I had a theory that everyone used the first stall so the second would be more clean. I am not really sure if that is true...that is part of me wanting to take this poll. I really just love the second stall.




I go in it every one of my six trips to the bathroom daily. Even though this means I have to read the same paper that is on that stall every time.




I checked the other stalls, they have different papers...




but I wont ever get to read them because they aren't in the second stall...




All around the world, I am loyal to my second stall (besides the exception previously discussed) When I was in East Asia last summer, I went in the second stall.




(Picture of a China Toilet)







I don't know what it is...am I alone in my stall preference? Are there others of you out there with stall preferences? I really need to know...I hope I am not alone!






Well that is all...just something to think about the next time you use a public restroom!






6 comments:

Hendrick Family said...

Funny!

And yes...of course I have favorite stalls. In the places I go all the time, I pick certain ones I love. I'm not glued to the second stall all over the world...but in the places I visit regularly...there is only one I'll use. At LH, I'll stand in line and wait for my favorite stall even when others are empty. For real.

I love that you're loyal to your second stall no matter where you go.

And I hate automatic toilets as well.

When they flush too hard, sometimes, they splash water on you, which makes me want to cry and go home...and scrub my skin with lighter fuel.

And when they won't flush...it's so upsetting. I have found myself also waving my hand in front of the sensor...or walking around the stall, pacing the floor...or even exiting the stall and coming back in and pantomiming using it again to trick the system.

It's just too much.

Why can't we just go pee anymore?

Heather

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

OK, in defense of the toilet makers, they are trying to help sanitize us by not making us touch the handle (even with our feet) after we go pee.

It is just like the sinks that you don't have to turn on, you just run your hand underneath it and the water comes on...don't tell me you haven't had fun with that!!!

I also like the bathrooms like at Gattitown with no door...the less I have to touch the better!

If you want some extra exercise, try running to the bathroom and back, it might also spark some interesting conversation with you co-workers as to why you run to the bathroom six times a day.

I do have a favorite stall and I am ashamed to admit it is the handicapped one. The other ones are WAY to confining. I feel like I am be swallowed up.

So fun.

SaraEaker said...

HEATHER!! Thank you for bringing up the splash factor...i forgot to include that in the post, but it is definitely a worthy thing to note! I got splashed on today...I think it was in trip 3 of my 6.

Kathryn,
I didnt run to the bathroom today...but I thought about it in my cubical and laughed! I love you!

Ryan Price said...

Wow... I must commend you on this post!

I too have been using the bathroom as an excuse to get away from my boring desk to so I have somewhere to go. Seriously... at least once an hour, I make my way to the bathroom for a little break. I use the bathroom now way more than I ever have!!

I never really thought about it, but I too definitely have preferred stalls. If I have to go #2 (which I try my hardest to reserve for the homestead), I always pick the last stall... which is usually the handicap stall (I like the extra space)! If I'm at church, I will usually go to the upstairs bathroom and go to the last stall during the second service... I guess it's just tradition or something. However, this bit me in the butt this past weekend, because Butch stopped preaching before I got done!! Therefore, I had to walk on the stage when everyone stood up to sing!! (WOW... that was really way too much info for people to know about me... oh well!)

But, yeah, I feel like once I use the restroom in one particular spot, I usually stick to it ... thinking that it's probably my best bet.

MacKenzie said...

I just found you blog (through the oh-so-loved facebook). As another 8hr/day cubicle worker, I find myself frequenting the bathroom for a chance to get away as well. I had liked stall #5 but I think that will have to change. Today someone came in and used the last stall which was right next to mine. Had the other stalls been occupied, I wouldn't have minded, but they were all empty! Luckily, since I work at a University and no one is around during the summer, I shouldn't have to deal with bathroom personal space issues too much.

Kelly said...

oh my gosh i love you people. and i miss you all a whole lot. :)