Sunday, June 24, 2007

As good as gold…actually better…



So I love my church, Living Hope. I love it because it is filled with members who just PASS out GOLD!!

Now before you people who call yourselves “poor” college students drop everything and make your way down highway 6 to think you are about to get some free money, let me tell you what I am talking about.

“How much better it is to get wisdom than gold! And to get understanding is to be chosen above silver.” –Proverbs 16:16

Wisdom is better than gold. Wow. Until this year I didn’t know about this amazing thing called wisdom. I knew that the Bible had wisdom, but I didn’t realize I was missing so much wisdom by not listening to people that had gone before me. I never knew what a rich blessing it was to sit down and listen to the ugly crap people have had to go through because they did not listen to the word of God, and have them look at you in the eye and say, “you don’t have to live in that crap, you don’t have to rebel.”

But until this semester all I wanted to do was rebel. Let me set you straight…I am not an outward rebel. I hate when people yell it me, I hate doing things that will disappoint other people, I hate the feeling of the moment you are caught doing something you shouldn’t. So I try to avoid that by just following the rules. You see I was a quiet rebel…that is why it was so hard for me to discover it!

But there are some areas…where I just didn’t want to take the gold from my elders. Dating, obeying and honoring my parents, gossip, confronting my fellow sisters in sin…I mean the list could go on. When people talked to me about these areas in my life I would spend half the time not listening and thinking of why whatever they were saying didn’t apply to me. But the beauty about my church is that God used bold people to just keep on talking even as I tried to shut them out.

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction.” -Proverbs 1:7

It is foolish to disregard the wisdom of others. FOOLISH! That is a powerful word. But God says that it is better than gold to get wisdom. I am thankful for the class Her Hand and for Heather and Jenn who started me on this process. I am thankful that Aaron posts videos online of people’s testimonies of our church so that as I am away from our body…I can still get this GOLD! I have never been so thankful for the internet!!

I can never repay Butch and Michelle, Eric and Wendy, Heather and Aaron, and Cindy and Ken for getting up in front of our church and telling of the Lord’s power and just handing out that gold to our body. A church that is built on confession and teaching truth is a church that I want to be a part of. Keep being awesome you Titus 2 men and women! You are a blessing!

6 comments:

Ryan Price said...

AMENNNNNNN!!!

I agree wholeheartedly! Big surprise huh? Considering every single time we talk, we spend half the time talking about these amazing people.

Praise God for people that actually do what the Bible teaches... what a novel idea!

Man... I love Living Hope!

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

What a blessing it is to be a part of the Body who KNOWS that all scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, correcting, rebuking and training in RIGHTOUSNESS and are NOT afraid to do it.

That my friend is how we grow and how God designed it.

What a blessing you are to be so teachable and what a beautiful woman of God you are.

I love you and miss you!!!

Hendrick Family said...

How sweet of you! Yes...praise God for our church. Before coming to LH, I didn't have a testimony to share because God had done nothing in my life. I didn't know he could! I am forever grateful for the work God has done in our body through our pastor and members.

When are you coming home? I miss you!

Heather

SaraEaker said...

Heather,
I am coming home August 10th!! I miss yall so much, but its not too far away now! I am so thankful that God provided me with this job this summer so I can return home next semester without having to go into debt! He so provides so that we do not have to contradict His word! Praise God!

Ashley Driskell said...

Living Hope IS an amazing blessing! I have grown so much in my relationship and understanding of the Lord. It's such a blessing to have everyone just passionately love Him! Sara, I miss you!

Ched said...

A church that is built on confession and teaching truth is a church that I want to be a part of.

This sounds good.