Friday, July 13, 2007

God Provides on Highway 45...



So last weekend…(yes I realize this is an outdated post, but my life has been crazy busy since then) I was driving back to Dallas when I hit a really LARGE pot hole! It was horrible! I was talking to my parents on the phone and they heard the noise! Apparently, according to my very wise father, all this rain has been tearing up our roads…another reason we should boycott all the rain we are getting this summer.

So nothing noticeably happened that effected my car's driving performance, but I decided to pull off the road just in case to check it out.

Basically, I started praying right away that nothing was wrong with my tire.

There were two major reasons I did not want my tire to be flat.





First of all…I can barely bench press a loaf of bread let alone get those tire screw thingys off when you have to remove the flat (yep…that IS the technical name for them!)

You see I do technically "know" how to change a tire. My daddy gave me a lesson when I turned 16 so I wouldn’t be one of those helpless little girls on the side of the highway, but unfortunately education cannot remedy the weak muscles of my little body. So alas, I am one of those helpless girls on the side of the highway…(this is why God's provision is so amazing!)

Second, I needed to get home in a timely manner because I was house sitting a person's house that night and it was already late. I needed my tire to be okay.

Alas, when I stopped in a very shady Texaco in who knows where I was, my tire was leaking air. You know it’s a bad sign when you hear a hissing of air leaking out.

The hissing sound was definitely mocking me…probably because it knew there was no way I was going to change that tire.

My first plan of action was to try "fix a flat". This is a lovely can of air that seals holes in your tire. The only problem was that the pot hole had dented the rim of my tire so I was unsure if fix a flat was going to work. But I was so desperate not to have to change my tire I wanted to be extra hopeful.

So I filled up Mr. Hissing Leak and drove about 10 miles down the road. I decided to get off in Corsicana because I knew I would have more options. For those 10 miles I was just praying that God would miraculously hold my tire together for the remainder of my way home.

So I get off the road and turn into a gas station that has a wendy's. If I am going to have to change a tire, I am going to need a frosty to do it! Anyways, just as I turn in I see this guy walking his dog. He is none other than a guy who grew up with me at my church back in carrollton. Not only is he one of the nicest guys I know…he is also an eagle scout. Those boys live for these moments of doing things like changing a tire. I could not believe it! God had brought me a tire changer!! I hopped out of my car and told him, "boy am I glad to see you!" I told him about the tire and sure enough… fix a flat had NOT done its job… it was still hissing…

This time not mocking me, because I had an EAGLE SCOUT in my midst! My friend Colby, just happened to be on his way back to Houston and he was stopping to let his dog out. Praise God that he led both of us to the same exact gas station at the same exact time! The only way that could ever happen is with God being in charge! I just marvel at how completely sovereign God is!! WOW!!

So maybe God didn't miraculously fix my tire with fix a flat, but he miraculously provided me a way home.

God answers prayers…not always exactly what we ask for, but in a way that is INCREDIBLY more amazing than I could have ever imagined.

God provided on highway 45! (it almost rhymes!)

5 comments:

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

Praise God that He always takes care of us and provides for us.

"His eye is on the sparrow, I know He watches me". I got to explain that to Michael the other day, how much more valuable we are to God than the birds and He provides for them too.

Ryan Price said...

Wow... such an amazing story!

I have one question though...

How is one supposed to boycott against rain as you mentioned?

SaraEaker said...

Well one way to boycott rain is to ignore its existence. For instance today I really wanted to swim. So I prayed that God would take away the clouds. I went about my day and didnt let those ominous rain clouds keep me from going to the pool. eventually, they went away. Also, when people talk about the rain in conversation, you just say, "what are you talking about...there is no rain!" People may think you are crazy, but then just tell them you are boycotting it. Also we could continue to water our lawns and wash our cars like its just not raining. Summer rain...you cant make me acknowledge you!

Carpio Family said...

See i have the same issue, i know how to change a tire logically, but i am dreding the day i do have a flat. I do get excited about the thought of using a Jac. That always looks so fun, Until that is Carlos reminds me that if I put it in the wrong spot and begin to change the tire, the car could fall. As in on Me or my legs or arms. So i Opt to always call Honda Care. Fortunatley i've only called them for locking the keys in the car, and killing my battery.In which they always ask how it happened, not that they have to write it down, but they what to be amuzed.

5 Chicks and a Farmer said...

That is a really cool story.

God is the best provider ever! You said it sister.

Lyns