Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Women and haircuts...





So I have a question that has been welling up inside of me the past few days. A question that I feel needs immediate attention...


Why in the world do women care so much about if someone notices that they got a haircut?


Why is it that every time we go to the hair salon, we come out just hoping desparately that someone will notice?


I don't really care who it is. If the mailman would just say, "hey did you get a haircut?" (even though he has never met me before the haircut day) I would be happy.


Why do EVERY TIME, even when we get an inch off, we expect some male in our life, who by the way is not good at observations anyways, to notice our new hair?!?


I don't expect a boy to notice when I cut my toenails. Why do we set ourselves up for heartache?


I honestly do not understand myself.


This came to mind when I recently got a hair cut. When I left the salon, I was fully satisfied with my hair. It wasn't too short, but the cut definitely took off like 3 inches.


I remember thinking to myself, " Sara, you are perfectly happy leaving the salon...do not hinge your happiness of this haircut based on how many people notice." And yet...with each person I ran into that didnt notice, I got a little more sad, maybe even irritated that no one was noticing.


THIS IS SO STUPID! When I told my mom that I got a haircut, she was like, "oh, I thought your hair looked extra nice!" But of course, that wasn't good enough because I had to tell herthat I got the cut. I wasn't satisfied with the fact that she thought it looked good, I wanted her to notice...dumb, dumb, dumb me!


I didn't really know how much I cared about this until I was in Austin with Ryan's family. His sister, who I have met 3 times, noticed my hair. I was like, "Oh my gosh! You are the first person to notice!" Those words just came out of my mouth like pee when you laugh really hard, it was uncontrollable. So that's when I knew I had a heart issue about this. God says,


"Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." -Matthew 12:34


I wish I could control my overflow a bit better. My mouth sure does flow, exposing so many things I had no idea were in that heart of mine.


Of course as soon as you say, "you are the first person to notice!", you immediately make everyone around you feel bad for not noticing. So basically, this desire is stupid and it hurts people.


So I just had to get this one out there ladies. We have got to give this one up. because even though I can notice when my dad gets a centimeter shaved off his head, I can't get upset when he doesnt notice me. It's not about my hair...wow the more I write on this post, the more I realize how silly this is. Maybe I am the only girl who is feeding this crazy desire...I don't know, but I need some healing! Let's stop the craziness.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you so loud and clear!
And we gents are not the most observant of the bunch.
Lisa got her hair cut a couple months back and it took me 3 days to catch on.
Woopsies.

On another note, there is a picture from the wedding with you and lil' Grady. It might be the most adorable thing ever caught on film!


Did you get a haircut?

Ryan Price said...

Yeah... I totally didn't catch on until after my sister said something and I was standing there with an "oh, crap!" look on my face.

I guess this stuff just comes with practice, and lots of it. Us guys are so helpless!

But... It does look good sweetheart!!

the amys said...

Sara you are so breathtaking anyway that a few inches of hair will never stand out against the brilliance of your smile.

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

It shouldn't matter what our hair looks like...

The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."
1 Samuel 16:7

Unfortunately we are pitifully vain humans in our flesh that want the attention...change us Lord!!!

Carpio Family said...

I have had some bad "oops you got your hair cut weeks ago and I did't notice so let me make a comment on it weeks later because I feel bad and I want to make up for it" moments. One comes to mind that happened to Whitney and I.
Carlos:Hey Whitney your hair looks diffent today.

Whitney: Thanks Carlos!

Carlos: It looks ummm......ummmm.....(in my mind there was a little guy running around my memory bank searching throught countless hair magazines that I have happened to glance at while waiting for my hair cut and he just happened to find an 80s magazine that had the word big being used to describe hair so he sent it up the vocal cords and out came)ummm......BIG Ya it looks big!

Whitney: What!(in a nice whitney tone with facial expresions)

Carlos:ummm.......is that bad?
Well Whitney then gave me a run down of the last twenty some odd years of hair terms which took about two seconds and now I know the term is "Your hair looks full or it has body" Weird.

Carlos