Saturday, January 5, 2008

Back Home in My 7 Exit Town!

I'M BACK HOME!! It feels so good.




Today I was driving on my beloved highway 6 and I saw the sign, "College Station, next 7 exits". I love that this town has 7 exits. I love that there is one highway that runs through here.


I love that we have a "rush half hour". I love that no place takes more than 20 minutes to get to. I love how every time I come back some new place has popped up...and I realize it because I know about every store and restaurant in this town. It's so good to be home.


Now of course what I really love about this town is my amazing church, but those are just a couple of the other things I love. You see I didn't grow up in a 7 exit town. We have about 3 times that many highways, let alone a killizon amount of exits. So I appreciate the "small" town life of college station.


One of the best parts about being back is that I know without a shadow of a doubt that this is exactly where the Lord wants me to be. I have been waiting to write a blog entry on this until my job became offical, and then I was in Africa, and then I was in Colorado, so I am just now sitting down to get this baby out.


So as I was finishing up my last semester of my senior year, last april/may, I was also concluding my time in the Her Hands class. On the last night, Heather shared with us the challenge to really ask the Lord where He wanted us to go in our future, rather than just picking up and leaving this town because it is what everyone else does. I knew that I had one more semester here anyways because I was student teaching. But I knew that after that I did not have plans.


Heather expressed to us how blessed we were to live in a town that had a church that preached truth and had believers that cared about mentoring. I knew she was right. Living Hope has been one of the most tremendous blessings in my walk with Christ that I can't imagine leaving it.


So I started praying. I knew that my parents would want me to get a job when I finished student teaching. And with all the lessons I have learned, I would be a fool not to follow their advice. I was pretty sure that me being a math teacher I could find a job in December in a big town...but I wasn't so sure about finding a job here in the 7 exit city.


But I also knew 2 truths.


God desires us to know truth and to live in a body of authentic believers.


God knows how to give his children gifts. (Matthew 7:9-11)


So I just kept on praying for a job. All semester as I was student teaching at Bryan High School I prayed for a job. Some days I didn't think about it. Some days it was heavy on my heart. Some days I would have faith that I would be here in January, and some days I doubted that that was God's will.


I asked my hope group to pray. I asked my friends to pray. I know the power of prayer, and God kept my faith that He was in control.


So then came my last week of student teaching.

At this point I knew that Bryan would hire me to be a substitute, but my parents weren't crazy about that. They wanted me to have a full-time job.


That Wednesday night in hope group I just begged them to pray for me to get a full time job here. I was so desparate to remain here, but I knew I had to have a job to live under the submission of my parents. I started considering that maybe this is not where the Lord wanted me to be. Maybe my desires were different than His. So as I was praying for a job I started to ask God to make my heart desire leaving here.


Then Thursday night came. The night before my last day of student teaching, still no jobs available at Bryan High or College Station High School. I spoke to my parents on the phone and they said that I needed to work over Thanksgiving break to find a job in Dallas since I couldn't find one here.


I got off the phone and I was devasted. I just didn't want to leave. I couldn't understand why God wanted me to leave this place of ministry and community. So the only thing I knew to do was to pray. Pray hard. And to ask other believers to pray for me. I sent out some emails that night and just asked His people to pray. I also asked them to pray that my heart would change about going to Dallas if that was His will.


It was amazing, Friday morning I woke up and I felt completely different. My heart was ready to move where ever the Lord wanted me. His joy replaced my doubt and saddness.


So I went to school. I was emotional about my last day and leaving my kids, so I wasn't thinking too much about anything more than that. About mid-morning an administrator came in with our math coordinator and said,


"Sara, we really want you to teach here next semester."


I replied, "well, so do I, but you don't have a position available"


She then said, "Well, we have created a position for you. It would be a full-time teaching job will all the benefits and everything. Would you like to accept?"


I seriously almost fell out of my chair. I was speechless. Then the math coordinator just talked about how she new this is where I needed to be and they were so excited that they could create this position.


I was stunned. Great is His faithfulness. Great is His desire for us to live in a community of believers. Great is our blessings when we submit to the Lord and our authority. Great is His provision if we will only trust Him. Great is His love for His children.


So of course I accepted, and I am set to start this amazing job Monday January 7th. I could not be more excited.


I want to thank my dear brothers and sisters who partnered with me in prayer and rejoiced with me as we saw the Lord be faithful. Most of all, I am thankful to the Lord for His great love in which He constantly desires to grow our faith.


Praise God for bringing me back to my 7 exit town!



10 comments:

D.O. said...

That's cool that the Father provided you with a way to stay in the Station and keep your folks happy and all that.

But you forgot one thing: You forgot to say that you loved how Texas Ave is perpetually under construction... but I know you meant it. It's cool. Anybody could have missed it.

SaraEaker said...

I don't let my car drive on that road...so that's why I forgot it. Thanks for the reminder d.o.

Hendrick Family said...

Yay!

I love that you are here to stay for awhile!

Heather

Jenn said...

woo hoo! i'm so grateful you are here too! not to mention the testament you are to me ... who a few months down the road is in the sameee spot. (in more ways than one ha.)

love you sara.

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

What a joy it has been to pray with you and rejoice with you and watch God move in your life.
Can't wait for Wednesday baby!!!!

Love you,
Kathryn

Kelly said...

I am SO excited for you! And that you are still here:) love you and miss you! Write a new post soon so we know how it's going!

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

I can't wait to hear how day 1 was!!!

Praying for you.

Megan said...

Sara! I am so glad the Lord told you to stay too- we are just now getting to know each other!

I hope your first week of teaching went well! Let us know!

Megan

Ryan Price said...

God is good. I'm glad you got to write this out and share his faithfulness with everyone. It just totally amazes me the way he has constantly been showing up and showing out in our lives lately.

To Him be the glory!

Keep my seat warm in B/CS for me... I'll be there soon!

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

Woo Hoo Double Digits...just had to do it...see you tomorrow night.

Love you!!