Saturday, July 19, 2008

"Faithfulness is His Very Character"

"Faithfulness is your very character"

-Psalm 89:8


"But I will never stop loving him,

nor let my promise to you fail,

I will not break my covenant,

I will not take back a single word I said."

-Psalm 89:33-34

3 years ago I sat on my dorm room praying. I was praying that God would fix my brokenness. I was praying that I would stop wasting my time dating the wrong boy. I was praying that God would heal my broken attraction that kept attracting me to the wrong boy. Out of the blue, God said, "Ryan Price is your husband". Now I didn't hear an audible voice, I heard a voice in my soul that didn't sound like mine. It freaked me out. I didn't tell anyone for like 2 weeks. But the Holy Spirit kept gnawing at my heart. So I told my roommate. I still remember feeling so nervous to voice this thing that seemed CRAZY to me. I thought she would think I was a psycho. But she didn't. She said 4 words to me that carried me to July 17th, 2008.

"well, let's believe it."

So we did. We believed it and then on July 17th, 2008 Ryan Price asked me to be his wife. I couldn't be more excited to be his wife. I couldn't be more blessed to be engaged to this wonderful man of God.


But most of all, I feel so blessed that God used this entire relationship to teach me about how God speaks. God works. God moves. God is faithful to finish what he starts. Before I get to the exciting night of the proposal, I have to glorify the Father that brought us to this day.

If any of yall know Ryan and I's story, it is not full of easiness of trusting God that Ryan was my husband. I felt like a stupid girl a lot of times. I know a lot of girls think that the Lord has told them who their husband is...I always thought those girls were crazy.


But then God humbled me. He made me one of those girls. But God did this because my faith was so very weak and it needed to be strengthened.

I often wished that our story was that Ryan fell in love with me and I didn't have a clue and he had to woo me and get me to like him. I often hated that I had these crazy strong feelings for him. But now that I sit here 3 years later, looking back at the journey that God took me on, I am so thankful that it was exactly how it was.

So the quick version of Ryan and I is that about 4 months after I heard God tell me this, we started dating. We dated for 7 months, then broke up for 11 months, and then got back together...for good!

So our journey to engagement and soon marriage was needless to say a tough one for me. However, the sweetness of God healing both of our souls and reuniting us and bringing us to this point is so incredible.


There were a lot more details, but for now, I will get to the engagement.


One thing for sure, Ryan's proposal was worth waiting for.


At 3:00, on July 17th, I came home from a day of computer training at school and found a beautiful dress on my bed and a note that told me to put on this pretty dress and accompany Ryan to dinner that night at 6:30.


At this point, I was really excited.

So I got ready and he came to pick me up at 6:30. When I opened the door he was standing there with a dozen red roses!! It was like a dream.

So then he whisked me off to dinner at Maddens. We had a wonderful dinner! Then we walked around downtown for a bit, and I thought it was a very nice night, but apparently if you were in pants and a tie, it was rather hot! haha! (the one time it is nice to be a girl!)

Then we got in the car and Ryan just started driving. On a normal night, I would have probably asked a lot of questions, but I didn't want to ruin Ryan's surprise, so I just decided to do what I do best...just talk!

When we were getting close to a park that was very special to us, I started to get the hint. At that point I had to go to the bathroom and I knew I wouldn't be able to go at the park, so I told Ryan that I needed to stop. So on the night of my proposal I got to stop at a gas station in my nice dress and go pee! so great!

So then we got to the park and Ryan had a blanket and candles. He started a very nice speech and told me a lot of wonderful things. He also told me about how he wanted to see what I looked like when I got old. I love his humor!! Then he said the sentence I will never forget,

"Sara, I would be the happiest man in the world if you would marry me."

Of course I said yes!!

Then he showed me the amazing ring that he bought me! It was so beautiful and in a box that he had bough in Malawi for that purpose. The felt inside the box was from his mom's engagement ring, which was really special!




Then we sat and talked for a while. I shared with him the story of God's faithfulness in our relationship. I had never told him any of this. It was really special.

Then we came back to my apartment and a lot of people I love were there!! We had a great celebration and a time of prayer. It was really great.

So that is the story of God's hand in our relationship. It is such a sweet time of rejoicing and praising God for all that He has done.

Thank you for all of you who have walked through this with me. I couldn't have made it to this day without your faith!

12 comments:

Whitney Swanson said...

YAY!!!
o congratulations sara!!! i am so excited for you!!!!!

Mattison said...

that is really exciting!
i know you don't know who i am... but I have been reading Ryan's blog... Brandon showed me it... :)
Congrats!!!

Jenn said...

woo hoo!!! the ring is beautiful but the story is even greater. i can't wait to see how the Lord continues to speak to you guys & through you guys as one.

beautiful.

Kelly said...

this post makes me giddy. :)

jaye carol said...

The best part of the story is that I get another daughter-in-law!!!!! I love y'alls story...although at times it was difficult. But the Bible is very clear that we will endure difficult times, but that makes times like this all the more beautiful.

I agree that Ryan Price (my son) is an amazing man, but Ryan Price is getting an amazing wife!!!! Jim and I can not wait to have you as part of our family!

Congratulations and much love.

Megan said...

Yay!!

We are so happy for y'all and blessed to witness your beautiful relationship, and even better what will be your beautiful marriage!

So excited! :)

Megan

schromiester said...

WooHoo! I loved hearing the story again (and the beginning part too...I never knew that!) So sad I missed the prayer time, but I am truly so excited for you. Your story has gone far beyond what you know, and it has been used to encourage, to give wise counsel, and to give HIM much glory!

Kristin

jsherrod said...

You and Ryan make a beautiful couple! I read both of your blogs-each are special, but I'm glad you made sure there was an unabridged version! I can't wait to see what God has planned for the two of you as you become one together in Christ. You are both very blessed! Congrats!

Jenni Sherrod

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

I love you and I love how you let God work through you and I love watching that portrayed through your relationship with Ryan.

God gets the glory and it is good!!!

juliette said...

wow you looked beautiful in that dress.
yall looked so happy and precious!!
ahhhh i wish i could have been there!

MacKenzie said...

Congratulations! Craig and I are moving back to college station in two weeks and when I get there we need to plan a trip to Sweet Eugene's to catch up. I want to hear more about this engagement thing!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! We are so excited to hear the great news and read your story. -Way to go Ryan! You two are going to make a great team.
-L&K